Thanks for your interest in being on the Funky Chicken Coop Tour. We want a WIDE VARIETY OF COOPS, funky or not. Read on to learn what you need to know to be on the coop tour. You can download an application to submit your coop for the tour. Application deadline is January 22, 2011.our Ordinances page. Austin City Ordinances are listed at:
- Healthy birds: Insure cleanliness of coop and healthy birds with bright eyes and no obvious issues, such as runny bowels or oozing sores. If a bird does get sick, please separate it from the rest for purposes of the tour.
- Adequate bird housing: The coop must provide shelter for birds from elements such as heat, cold and inclement weather. It should also be secure against predator attacks.
- Available parking: Street parking or other parking should be available for coop tour visitors.
- Safety considerations: The designated coop grounds should be free of sharp objects or other potential safety hazards. Note: The host may designate a designated visiting area/restrict visitors from wandering around in undesignated areas.
- Supervision and assistance: Coop helpers should be on site throughout event to assist visitors and supervise grounds. Some coops on last year’s tour had over 1,200 visitors on the tour day. As such, coop owners must have at least 2 “chicken wranglers” or volunteer helpers to assist them on the tour day. Coop applicants are responsible for supplying their own wranglers.
- Photos: One or more photographs of your coop are required when submitting your application. The photograph should show the entire coop and highlight any unique features.
- Information Session: Attendance at a preliminary information session will be required for your coop to be considered for the tour. This includes both owners and their helpers with their coops for the tour day.The information session will cover what to expect on the tour and will be held after the tour due date.