Whether a first-time or long-time backyard poultry owner, we all want healthy, happy flocks. There is nothing more disappointing, and potentially damaging to a flock’s health, than buying unhealthy birds.
Do you know what you should be considering when you are ready to get birds for your backyard?
Join the Austin Backyard Poultry Meetup on July 20th to learn more on this topic!
Dusty Boullion, Inspector for Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC), has generously offered to present our Meetup members with key information for buying backyard poultry.
1. Texas laws for selling poultry to the public.
2. What to look for when you buy poultry:
* What certifications should sellers have and what do they mean?
* What bird characteristics should the buyer look at?
3. What precautions should buyers take after purchasing birds (quarantine and how long, other)?
4. What buyers can do if they suspect a seller of knowingly carrying infected birds.
Go to the Austin Backyard Poultry Meetup to learn more about this and other upcoming meetups!
ABOUT THE AUSTIN BACKYARD POULTRY MEETUP
The Austin Backyard Poultry Meetup Group is for people who have small backyard flocks of chickens for pets, eggs, and meat. You just might be surprised at how many people living in your neighborhood have pet chickens! There is nothing quite like walking outside in the morning to gather fresh eggs for your breakfast. Talk about local food!
We welcome everyone that has a small backyard flock of chickens or other backyard poultry, as well as those that are interested in getting started raising a small flock of backyard poultry.
We get together in person, or “meet up”, regularly to share ideas and company. Come join our flock!