Whether funky, functional, or fabulous, we want YOU to put your coop on the Tour! Duck and other backyard poultry housing also welcome!
TOUR HOST INFORMATION & REQUIREMENTS
Location. The coop must be in the Austin City Limits. Applicants in Austin’s Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ) will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Experience. You must be raising backyard poultry (chickens, ducks, etc.) and have permanent housing established for them when you turn in your application.
- Compliance with property restrictions. Your coop should meet local ordinances, including city and any additional property and/or HOA restrictions. The City of Austin’s Ordinances are available online and are summarized here. You may contact the City of Austin should you have additional questions on compliance. Note: It is the applicant’s responsibility to insure his/her property is in compliance with any restrictions prior to applying.
- Home Owners Insurance. Each Coop Tour applicant must have current Homeowners or renters insurance for the tour date. A copy of your current insurance policy must be submitted with your application.
- Healthy Birds. Insure cleanliness of coop and healthy birds with bright eyes and no obvious issues, such as runny bowels or oozing sores. If a bird does get sick, please separate it from the rest for purposes of the tour.
- Adequate bird housing. The coop must provide shelter for birds from elements such as heat, cold and inclement weather, and it should also be secure against predators.
- Available parking. Street parking or other parking should be available for coop tour visitors.
- Pet and visitor safety. Disease can travel on people from coop to coop, especially on shoes. Keep birds in their coops or in an area separated from interaction with visitors during the tour. Keep other household pets contained in areas separate from visitors, as well.
- Safety considerations. The designated coop grounds should be free of sharp objects or other potential safety hazards. Note: The host may designate a public visiting area and restrict visitors from wandering around in undesignated areas.
- Supervision and assistance. Coop helpers, or “wranglers”, must be on site throughout the event to assist visitors and supervise grounds. Some coops on past tours have had over 1,000 visitors. As such, coop owners must have at least 3 volunteer helpers (chicken wranglers) to assist them on the tour day. Coop applicants are responsible for supplying their own wranglers.
- Photos. One or more high resolution photographs (1,600 x 1,200 pixels or larger) of your coop are required when submitting your application. The photographs should show the entire coop and highlight any unique features. The photograph should be of “real life” and not an artistically enhanced photo (even if funky!). We realize coops this time of year may be “winterized” and look somewhat different than they will on Tour Day. For photographic purposes, please temporarily remove any items on or around the coop that detract from its appearance.
- Information Session. Your attendance at a MANDATORY information session is a requirement for your coop to be considered for the tour. Although not mandatory for all of your wranglers to attend, it is recommended they also attend. The session will cover what to expect on the tour.
- Legal Considerations. Participants (including wranglers) selected to be on the tour will be required to sign a Hold Harmless waiver releasing Coop Tour organizers, sponsors, and others participating in the tour from liability. This should be submitted with your coop tour application.
If you can meet all of the above requirements, we invite you to complete the Coop Host Application and submit it by January 24, 2016.
- We reserve the right to reject submissions and to edit any submissions (spelling, sentence structure, grammar, etc.) we might use in print. Due to time constraints, we can only select a limited number of coops for the tour.
- We are seeking diversity and unique aspects in coops in the Austin city limits.
The deadline to submit an application is January 24, 2016. Thank you for applying!