Wouldn’t your hens be happy in this coop? Happy Hen Treats, Best in Show sponsor, is donating this deluxe coop with a Happy Hen product prize package to one lucky winner!
2015 is off to a great start. We got this lovely update from Skip Connett and Erin Flynn, Farmers for Green Gate Farm, location for our 2014 Tour beneficiary Permablitz for New Farm Institute, held in cooperation with the Austin Permaculture Guild. [Read more…]
2014 Funky Chicken Tour proceeds benefitted New Farm Institute, the 501(c)(3) educational arm of Green Gate Farms. We put our financial support to a call to action, by working with the Austin Permaculture Guild to host a Permablitz for our beneficiary.
The Wheatsville Food Co-op annual elections are happening between now and Monday, November 3 at 5:30 p.m. Vote for Urban Poultry Association of Texas, Inc., parent organization of the Funky Chicken Coop Tour, to be one of Wheatsville’s Community Action Wednesday recipients for 2015.
Thank you for your support!
Urban Poultry Association of Texas is pleased to donate $1,500 of proceeds from the 2014 Funky Chicken Coop Tour® to New Farm Institute (NFI) at Green Gate Farms via a Permablitz organized by the Austin Permaculture Guild. A permablitz is a a community organized and supported event to spread permaculture design, practice, and implementation through out the Central Texas Area.We will be creating a system to support a forest garden that mimics the patterns of nature’s systems while showing you how to do it yourself.
Getting ready for fall planting? Learn how your feathered friends can help! Come out on August 5th to Wheatsville Food Co-op South Lamar from 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. for their “Gardening with Chickens” class. Register at: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/gardening-with-chickens-tickets-12037318945
What other pet makes you breakfast AND helps with garden work? In this class we’ll teach you key information for getting started raising chickens, including benefits, breed selection, and time considerations to this new pet commitment. We’ll provide an overview of a daily chicken maintenance routine to help participants decide if raising chickens is right for them and explore some ways to integrate poultry into a backyard food production system. Michelle Hernandez, Founder and Event Director of the Funky Chicken Coop Tour® brings her years of experience raising chickens, ducks, and guineas into the classroom experience. $15, at the 4001 S. Lamar Community Room.
Have you let Austin’s City Council know your feelings on Urban Farm recommendations? The Austin City Council is currently scheduled to vote on the Urban Farm Code/Ordinance recommendations on Thursday, November 21.
- The Urban Farm code is on the agenda for this upcoming Council meeting on Thursday November the 21st. Here is a link to the facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/416396808487904/?ref_dashboard_filter=ca…
- AustinUrbanFarms.org is requesting supporters of the recommendations come to City Hall around 3:30 p.m. on 11/21 and wear green. They are also requesting people write City Council, even if they have done so previously, to request no more delays on action on the Urban Farm recs. More details at: http://www.austinurbanfarms.org/call-to-action/
- UFO agenda item is #20 and #105 (Originally it was #19) Here is the link to the agenda for the 11/21 City Council meeting: http://austin.siretechnologies.com/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=482&doc…
- If you can’t come out on Thursday but want to register your position, you still have options.
1) Contact City Council, to express your position.
2) SIgn up between noon on Monday, 11/18 and the Council meeting on this item on 11/21 at the Kiosk in City Hall. There are 30 minutes of free parking in the garage under City Hall. Here are visuals to show you how to sign up. Note that the numbers to sign up for are now #20 and #105, instead of what is shown in this “how to”: http://www.austinurbanfarms.org/how-to-sign-in-for-or-speak-in-support-o…